Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Life of Pi (up to page 224)


I apologize for not posting in such a long time. This post will be difficult, I'm not too much into the writing mood at the moment, more the music mood. But anyway....

So many things have happened since my last post. The boat Pi, his family and the zoo animals were on sank on its way to Canada. Some crew threw Pi down into a lifeboat with a life jacket, miraculously not hurting him. It then shows Pi, yelling to Richard Parker, the tiger, to swim harder to make it to the lifeboat, where a zebra with a broken leg already has joined him. Eventually it comes down to Pi, Richard Parker, a spotted Hyena, the crippled zebra and later an orangutan named Orange Juice. The hyena kills and eats the zebra. Pi doesn't know Richard Parker is on the boat under the tarpaulin until after the Hyena kills OJ and Richard Parker kills the Hyena. Crazy stuff. Many days go by. Pi finds that the lifeboat is luckily equipped with many tools and rations for survival, including these solar still devices which convert sea water to fresh drinking water. Pi calculates that he has 90+ days to live on the food and water alone, without making use of the fishing gear that is supplied. But, wisely, Pi fishes. The part that really stuck out to me, and that I could relate to, was when Pi has to kill a fish to use for bait, the first sentient being he has killed, being a vegetarian.

I very much wish that I could say I haven't killed an animal on purpose. There was the time when, young and foolish, I declared war on a large colony of ants living in the cracks of my driveway. I used all sorts of methods to kill them: A hammer, my fingers, my shoes, magnifying glass, water, etc... That incident was probably my low point, the time where I was on the exact opposite side of the spectrum of beliefs where I am now. Then, 11-ish, I was an overweight, Christian, selfish, straight-F's loser of a kid. I'm so thankful for Time's power to change people, though that sounds selfish. Now, 17 going on 18, I am a healthy, happy, open minded, compassionate, tree-hugging vegetarian. Enough about me though.

No comments:

Post a Comment