Monday, March 28, 2011

Life of Pi (pages 1-30)

So, I greatly enjoyed "Cloud Atlas" so far, but the other day I came upon "Life of Pi" and remembered how I've always wanted to read it. I put Cloud Atlas on hold and have decided to read this instead, nontheless. So far it's very insightful. The introduction is basically the author telling the reader how he has had some trouble writing for a while and went to India for inspiration. Just as he was about to give up, he tells, he meets a man in a Pondicherry cafe who tells him he has a story that will make hiim believe in god. Skeptical, Yann, the author of the book, invites the man to continue. Apparently, Yann is gripped by the true story and immediately seeks out Piscine Molitor Patel, the main character of the story and transcribes his telling of the tale into what becomes the actual book. The story thus far is an autobiography of Piscine "Pi" Patel, who is now telling stories of growing up in India. What really got me interested is how he talked about zoos and the animals living in them. Though I still don't believe animals should be kept in zoos, his thoughts have made zoos seem less evil to me. They aren't horrible places, zoos. I love animals enough that going and seeing them in person helps reassure me that not all captive to humans are being tortured or eaten. Many do understand the necessary compassion we should have for them, and in turn provide food and shelter for them in return for their presence. I've kept reciting the lyrics of "Animals" by Cocorosie in my head these past few weeks. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment