Thursday, January 13, 2011

"Into the Wild" 1

This is my first post for my reading of "Into the Wild"

So far it's really interesting. I read it whenever I can in school, even though I've gotten myself into trouble by reading it a couple of times. The plot, to me, is an idea that has always been genuinely interesting to me. The book is basically an look into the very true stories, travels and eventual death of Chris McCandless. Chris, who changes his name to Alex, decides one day to completely abandon his sheltered, middle-class life in Atlanta and treks west. His intent was to live off of the land completely. He burns his money, leaves his car in a park with the keys in it and sets off on foot with only a 10 lb bag of rice, a field guide to edible plants and the shirt on his back. He didn't have a direction, really; However, immensely inspired by Jack London's "Call of the Wild", his goal was Alaska, where he dies. The book began with an account of the last person to see him alive then the next chapter is the finding of his body, which only weighed 67 lbs at the time of the autopsy. So far, again, it is an amazingly detailed and original story.

No comments:

Post a Comment